Refrigerator is a basic requirement of every household but did you know it can have a massive impact on the electric bills? As there are many electrical equipments used in the household it goes unnoticed that one of the equipment is increasing the bill enormously just because it is old and requires more energy to function. It is noticed that older refrigerator requires more energy than the new one even if the specifications are the same. The compressor which is the brain of the equipment becomes week and need more power to deliver the same result. If your refrigerator is more than 5 years of age then it is time to replace it with a modern one. Today there are many of them which can actually decrease the electric bill as they consume less power. So substituting your older refrigerator with a new one can be a good way of saving on your electric bill.
How to select the correct refrigerator for your home?
When you find out and decide to buy a new refrigerator for your home it is important that you buy the correct one so that it saves a lot of energy and in turn saves your money. You can consider the following points while going for a deal.
- It is always better to purchase a model with star rating. The more start rating that it has the more efficient it will be for saving energy. For example a device with a 4 start rating will consume lesser energy than a device with 2 star rating. Even if you can’t purchase a 4 or 5 star rating device you should always purchase a device which is energy star qualified as they always save more energy that what is specified by federal standard.
- When purchasing the equipment it is always better to purchase the appropriate size of it. A bigger refrigerator consumes more energy as it needs to cool bigger space. So if you live alone or just one more person then a mini fridge can be a great option for you. Mini fridge is quite energy saving and it does all the work that a general fridge does.
- It is seen that refrigerator with more feature needs more energy. For example if it has a front door water dispenser or it has an automatic ice making feature then the power consumption would always be high. So purchasing a simple yet efficient one will reduce your electric bill more.
- There are different models available in the market with the freezer placed on the top or bottom or side by side. But if you want to save energy it is better to purchase one that has top mounted freezer.
- According to the defrost rule there are two types of refrigerator, one is manual defrost and the other is automatic defrost. Manual defrost is the better option when you consider energy saving. This is because the auto defrost ones contains a heating coil which gets heated up in specific interval to keep away the frost and maintain the normal functioning of the device.
It is noticed that when a refrigerator or a mini fridge have the above mentioned feature then it save 20% energy and in a year you can save $100 on your electric bill which is huge.
How To Mange Your New Refrigerator To Save Your Electric Bill?
Purchasing a new freezing device with the above specification is half the job done. You can actually save more energy and more money with the proper use and maintenance of your refrigerator if you consider some rules.
- Check if the defrosting is happening correctly or you may yourself need to defrost it at least once in a fortnight. This will let the device continue its normal operation.
- If you are going out for more than 4 weeks it is better to unplug it to save power.
- Servicing is very important for the compressor and the other parts of the refrigerator. Servicing once in a year can be a great thing. Your compressor will stay as new and it will go on consuming lesser energy.
- Take proper care of the device by following the guideline given in the booklet that comes with it.
So if you want to save on your electric bill it is time to change how you cool your foods and change the refrigerator to a modern one.